Attention Canadian Dentists and Hygienists! 😷🦷 The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario strongly recommends that all non-essential and elective dental services should be suspended immediately. Emergency treatment should continue.
On March 15th 2020, the RCDSO stated "In accordance with our mandate to act in the public’s interest and in hearing the numerous comments made to us by members, in consultation with hospitals and public health and others, we are offering to the membership the following measures and guidelines in response to the COVID–19 pandemic."
They also said that they will "revisit this recommendation in the first week of April" and that since this suspension will affect members of most clinical office staff, they recommend to "consult with an employment lawyer."
Below are the main points addressed in the RCDSO's public message
- The College will continue to enforce the Standard on Infection Prevention and Control, in cooperation with public health.
- All in-person meetings at the College have been suspended until further notice.
- All speaking engagements and presentations by College staff are cancelled until further notice.
- All business travel for staff has been cancelled.
- Renewals of existing facility permits and Certificates of Authorization are suspended.
- The Quality Assurance program is suspended effective March 16, 2020.
Do you or your team have questions you can contact the RCDSO?
The Practice Advisory Service continues to be available to take calls and emails.
In the United States of America, the American Dental Association (ADA) have provided a wealth of material and information on their own specific protocols and guidelines. Read all about it here.
Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond the British Dental Association is providing useful information and insight into the dental community about what precautions can be taken as well.
"The coronavirus pandemic is dominating all of our lives at the moment. We are doing what we can to support members in reducing disruption and impact. On this page, I will seek to keep you updated and let you know what we are doing to help you. I will update it regularly." -Martin Woodrow (Chief Executive of the BDA)
The page is updated daily and currently contains information regarding: Face mask shortages, Business Impact, On-going dialogue with governments and regulatory burdens. Read the full article here.